We eat a lot of casseroles around here. And soups. And slow cooker stuff.
We’re freakin’ busy, man. LM is only in first grade, and we are already running all over the place with games, practices, etc. LMII is only 2. What the heck is life going to be like when he is in first grade and LM is in 4th? Oh, boy!
You know, you always think, “That won’t be MY life when I have kids. No way!” Then you have kids, and it’s a whole different story.
I try to have dinner ready by 6:30pm so we have enough time for homework, family time, a program and bath. We can’t even make it home by 6:30pm most days. And that’s on school days.
Now, I know why everyone has a smartphone. Especially moms. It’s because we are never home.
So anyway, I asked LM what he wanted in a casserole this week, and he said potatoes. So, potatoes it is.
I like to use the chili powder/cumin mix because both boys like it. And they love peppers. Red, yellow, orange and green. In fact, it’s hard to get them in the casserole because LM keeps taking them as I cut them.
And since we had soccer practice, I decided to make this one in the slow cooker.
So it would be ready when we walked in the door.
At sometime AFTER 6:30pm.
One note about this Slow Cooker Mexi Casserole. Although it is awesome, it is watery because of the peppers. I just used my trusty turkey baster to suck a bunch of it out before serving. Totally works. You could also take the slow cooker mexi casserole out with a slotted spoon.
BTW, I won’t be posting this weekend because I will be up in San Francisco with my friends doing Race for the Cure. Enjoy your weekend!
More Dinner RecipesPrint
Slow Cooker Mexi Potato Casserole
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 2 tbs Avocado Oil (high heat oil)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 2 tbs Chili Powder
- 1 tbs Cumin
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 lb. Red Potatoes (sliced)
- 6 oz. Mexi Blend Cheese (shredded)
- Handful Cilantro (chopped) (optional)
- Mix the peppers in a bowl.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
- Saute onions until translucent.
- Add ground beef.
- Add chili powder and cumin.
- Cook until meat is browned.
- Lightly spray slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Layer ⅓ sliced potatoes, ⅓ beef mixture, ⅓ pepper mixture, ⅓ cheese and ⅓ cilantro (if using).
- Layer again and again.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- It will have a lot of liquid due to the peppers. You can dish out with a slotted spoon or drain with a turkey basted. (I use the turkey baster.)
- Top with favorite condiments, like sour cream and/or guacamole.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
This looks easy AND tasty! I saw it on Linda’s Facebook page, pinning! Come visit, I have a blog hop every Wednesday too, all your pictures have me drooling!
Thanks, Tessa! I will check it out. This is so super easy. And it tastes so good. It’s a definite keeper.
was the 1 lb of red potatoes a typo? 1 lb is really really small – thats a tasting size for 8 ppl
I understand. When I went back to make this again after a few months, I was confused myself because it seemed like too little. But I slice the potatoes really thin and just use them as 2 thin layers in the casserole, it was only 1 lb of potatoes.
Any suggestions on temp and time if I wanted to just cook this in the oven? Thanks!
I have this in the slow cooker now, and it smells delightful! I made this one other time years ago and found this recipe again. In the recipe I was wondering if I need to use a tablespoon of the seasonings or teaspoon? A tbs is unclear, but a Tbls is clear. I opted for the tablespoon, so I hope it’s not too spicy/hot. 😊