I just love this kale salad recipe with bacon, walnuts and avocado. Well, I love kale salad in general.
Especially if the kale is massaged. When you use a little olive oil to get off the white, bitter, filmy stuff, it makes the kale so much more pleasant to eat. It makes the kale taste like strong lettuce with a little bite.
Then you can add some different things to give it some flavor. Then…BAM! You got yourself an amazing salad.
Now, when I try to think of things that are good for flavor for a kale salad, I like to meet a few certain criteria. When I meet these criteria, it almost always works perfectly.
Would you like to know my criteria? Of course you would. Well, here they are.
Criteria for an amazing kale salad –
- Something a tad salty and substantial.
- Something with a crunch.
- Something a tad sweet.
- Something smooth.
And here is how I met the criteria in this kale salad.
- Bacon. Cheese usually works well, but in this instance, it is the bacon. And I chose bacon because…it’s BACON. (Plus, it makes the salad dairy free.)
- Walnuts. I usually like a nut or a seed for the crunch. So, walnuts it is.
- Pomegranate seeds. I just love, love, love pomegranates. I have since I was little. Those seeds are so cute and red. When you eat them they squirt a little sweet goodness in your mouth. I don’t know if I am happy or sad that I have passed my love of pomegranates on to my two boys. I never get any anymore. Seriously?!
- Avocados. If I am using cheese for #1, then it also satisfies this criteria. But if not, I need to fill the void. In this case, avocado worked great. It also goes so nicely with bacon. And it keeps in the dairy free zone. Yay!
And, of course, there is all of the health benefits you get from eating kale. Fiber, vitamins, etc.
I don’t know about your area, because we are pretty lucky here, but kale is coming back to our farmers’ market. It’s just so big and fluffy looking. Can’t resist it.
And this kale salad recipe with bacon, walnuts and avocado is a perfect way to eat it. Yum!
Other Kale Salad Recipes
Other Kale RecipesPrint