Next month will mark 5 years that I have been blogging.
I remember when I first started writing my blog, Glügle Gluten-Free, I kept telling myself I was just writing information that I was going to add to my “website.” It was NOT a blog. Blogging was one of those things that those weird people did. You know, those weird people who have no life.
Yeah, little did I know. Blogs seem to be written by people who already have a hugely busy life and think, “I can add one more thing. Let me take hours and hours each week to write about food, saving money, etc.”
One of the things I noticed right away that I liked was the inclusion. Blogging is a group. A very helpful group of people. A community.
And whatever niche you are in that community can become very tight-knit. For example, when I started blogging about being gluten free, one of the people that welcomed me with open arms was Shirley of gfe-gluten-free easily. She always notices when someone new has arrived. And sends out the welcome wagon, so to speak.
One of the first Adopt a Gluten-Free Blogger events I participated in was adopting Shirley and her Chicken Enchilada Casserole. Shirley’s Chicken Enchilada Casserole is awesome, so I suggest you try hers, too.
But hers has salsa, and I can’t find salsa without citric acid. *sad face*
Plus, I really wanted something with my newfound gluten free enchilada sauce. (Did you know that ready-made enchilada sauce has wheat in it? Yep, it does. But you can make gluten free enchilada sauce really easily by clicking here.)
So, I decided to swipe another recipe from my Step-MIL and make this Chicken Enchilada Casserole like veggie laden chicken enchiladas.
Now, I am not ambitious enough to roll these things up like “real” enchiladas, so I just layer everything. Like lasagna.
That way I get more chicken and veggies. And less tortillas. Nice and healthy.
BTW, it’s another one that the boys like. Always a plus in this house. They really seem to like different things. Like different from each other. Do all siblings do this? Is it the beginning of sibling rivalry?
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe (Gluten-Free)
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 1x
- 2 tbs High Heat Oil (like Avocado Oil)
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 1/2 lb Carrots (chopped)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 3 – 4 Celery Stalks (chopped)
- 1 small Zucchini (chopped – optional)
- 1 lb Chicken (cooked and chopped)
- Gluten Free Enchilada Sauce (click here for recipe)
- Corn Tortillas
- 12 oz. Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat.
- Add onions and carrots and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add bell peppers, celery (and zucchini if using) and sauté until soft. Remove from heat.
- Layer in 9 x 13 casserole pan – enchilada sauce, tortillas, 1/2 veggie mix, 1/2 chicken, and cheese.
- Then layer again.
- The layer tortillas, enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until heated thoroughly.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
This casserole looks so hearty and delicious.. obsessed with the thick cheese crust ontop. Craving some right now!
Yep, this one is a keeper. Plus, you can add so many veggies and not even know how healthy you are being. Perfect!
I found you on Foodepix and this recipe caught my eye… it really looks terrific!
We really like this one here. Very easy to make, too. 😉