As you can see in the photos above and below, this Zucchini with Roasted Red Peppers Recipe is not the most “beautiful” dish in the world. But it sure does taste yummy. Yummy, yummy, yummy! As the Littlest Man would say.
Ok, he doesn’t say it about this particular dish because we are still trying to get the boys to eat zucchini. When it isn’t disguised as rice.
But the Big Man and I sure do say it about this zucchini with roasted red peppers dish.
To be honest, this isn’t a creation from my head. I kinda stole it. But she lets me steal her “recipes” for my blog. By “her” I mean my Step-MIL. She always comes up with these amazing things to eat. And I always ask her if I can steal it for the blog.
She always says, “Yes.”
At least, I think she does. Not really sure if I pay that close of attention after I ask. Whoops!
But she doesn’t blog about food, yet, so I’m not too worried about taking her ideas/posts.
Oh, and technically, I am the one “writing” the recipe. (That is why recipe is in quotes above.) She is a throw-it-together and it-always-seems-to-work type. Seriously! Every time I ask her what is in a dish/baked good she made, she says, “Oh, you know I don’t do recipes. A little of this and some of that. And a bit of this thing here.”
So, you can see I really do work for these posts I “steal.”
Also, I added basil. I love the little tang/sweet of the basil thrown in. But you can make it without basil, too. Just a preference. And depends on what you have on hand. I grow a basil plant in my kitchen so I always have the fresh stuff ready.
Mmmmmmmmm. Love it!
Also, you can buy already roasted red peppers, or you can make your own. I didn’t realize how super-duper easy it is. Click on through to Tori Avey’s site and her post on how to roast red peppers. I used the oven roasting method. Not the broiler. I didn’t want mine that black. It was so easy. And they taste great.
You can even save them in the freezer for later. The ones in my pictures were frozen and thawed out. Look and taste great.
- 2 medium Zucchinis
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Red Pepper (roasted and cut into 8 strips)
- 1 - 2 oz. Goat Cheese
- 3 - 4 Basil Leaves (rolled and chopped)
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut ends off zucchini. Cut in half width-wise. Then cut each piece in half lengthwise and each of those pieces in half lengthwise. (See picture above.)
- Place in a bowl with olive oil and coat each piece.
- Lay on parchment paper.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes so the zucchini gets a little crunch to it.
- Remove from oven and layer red pepper, goat cheese and basil on half of the zucchini slices.
- Place a "free" roasted zucchini slice on top and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
Linking this to Gluten-Free Wednesdays (GFW), the weekly blog carnival that Shirley from gfe-gluten-free easily co-hosts with Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker and Lynn of Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures.