I originally posted this Southwest Chicken Soup recipe on my other site, Glügle Gluten-Free as Mexican Soup. But since I am moving my recipes over here and changing the ones that have eggs and/or yeast in them, I am bringing it on over.
My kids are fanatics for this soup, so we make it a lot. A LOT! Seriously!
Every time I cook a whole chicken, which will be quite a lot since Whole Foods had one if their famous One Day Only sales last week, we make this soup with the leftover chicken.
(I am also reposting this recipe over here because I took a better picture with my fancy shmancy new camera I got for my birthday. Of course, now that I look at it again, I could’ve done better. Oh well. Check out the difference between the old and new picture. Hopefully the new picture shows how good this Southwest Chicken Soup really is.)
Another thing I love about this recipe, besides the fact that it is one my boys will both eat. (The have such different tastes.) It is so easy to make. Even if you don’t have left over chicken, it is super easy. Just open some cans, jars and bags from the freezer and throw it all into a pot.
I can my own beans once I found out how easy it is. Using the slow cooker and freezer, I try my best to never buy them in a regular can. They are just so much better if you do them yourself. Why is that?
This recipe is adapted from Clean Eating Slow Cooker Southwestern 2 Bean Chicken The Gracious Pantry. Her’s is a chicken dish, but I turned it into a soup. A throw-together at the last minute Southwest Chicken Soup.
Oh, and it’s obviously a popular combination since hers has been pinned almost a half a million times. Seriously, go look at her pin count. CRAZY!
So, make this soup. Or her chicken. And enjoy the results. Either way, you will be pleased. Trust me!
- 2 Chicken Breasts (or Leftover Chicken from Easiest Way to Cook a Whole Chicken )
- 32 oz Chicken Broth (or Broth from How to Make Chicken Broth)
- 2 cans Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans Pinto Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 lb Carrots (I use little carrots chopped in half.)
- 1 lb Frozen Corn
- 1 jar Salsa
- 1 - 14oz. can of diced Tomatoes
- In a very large soup stock pot add chicken, broth, black beans, pinto beans, carrots, corn, salsa and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 2-3 hours. (depending on how mushy you like your carrots)
- If using raw chicken to begin with instead of leftover, break chicken apart.
- Garnish with any or all of: cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro.
Linking this to Gluten-Free Wednesdays (GFW), the weekly blog carnival that Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker co-hosts with Shirley from gfe-gluten-free easily and Lynn of Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures.